Volunteering – Doing Your Part
The Chelsea CSA is entirely volunteer run. To keep the CSA running smoothly, members must commit to the entire season and are expected to contribute a few hours of time each season.
Vegetable share members must contribute a minimum of four hours of their time over the course of the twenty-four week season. Fruit share members must contribute an additional two hours to help us manage this additional offering.
Most shareholders participate by covering two or three two-hour shifts at distribution. Distribution shift times are 3:30 PM -5:30PM and 5:30PM – 7:30PM. Alternatively, members can fulfill their volunteer requirement by helping with events such as potluck dinners or the annual farm visit, helping with the creation of the weekly the newsletter, or by joining the core group and helping manage the CSA.
How to sign up for your a distribution volunteer shifts:
- Go to our VolunteerSpot Calendar.
- Scroll through the calendar by clicking the arrows to the left or right of the green month heading at the top. Click “Sign Up” on a day that has open shifts.
- A window will pop up listing the shifts available. Click on the orange “Sign Up Here” box for the shift that you choose.
- If you need to go back and change your shift, it is easy to do – go back to the calendar and click on the green “minus” sign next to your shift.
- It is helpful for us in our scheduling for you to include your name and phone number in the pop-up box that will come up after you’ve selected your shift so that we can contact you should there be issues on the day of your shift.
- You will receive a reminder email from VolunteerSpot a few days before your shift. You can also always return to VolunteerSpot to see when you are scheduled to volunteer or to change your shifts. We ask that you do not cancel/change your shift within a week of your shift. If an emergency comes up and you need to, please contact gro.a1369150729scaes1369150729lehc@1369150729reetn1369150729ulov1369150729 so we can ensure a replacement for your shift.
- There are other opportunities throughout the year to satisfy your volunteer hours such as assisting with our cookbook project, contributing to the newsletter, organizing specials events and activities as well as other projects that may come up throughout the year. If you are interested volunteering in this manner, be sure to contact us so that we can arrange that.
- If you have any questions or problems, please email volunteer coordinator, Melissa Clough, at gro.a1369150729scaes1369150729lehc@1369150729reetn1369150729ulov1369150729.
- Last minute cancellations (after 3pm on Tuesdays) should be called into the reception desk at Hudson Guild at 212-760-9800. Ask to speak with the CSA distribution coordinator.
Those who order meat, poultry or eggs must discuss volunteer requirements with the Special Products Coordinator.
Chelsea CSA Core Group Members
- Lead CSA Coordinator: aicc1369150729utrau1369150729Q nai1369150729lliL1369150729
- Volunteer Coordinator: hguol1369150729C ass1369150729ileM1369150729
- Treasurer: Lily Fisher
- Distribution Managers: Tiffany Esteb and Jim Stein
- Special Products Coordinator: ztaK 1369150729amroN1369150729
- Newsletter: Chana Neumann
- Website Updates: eloC 1369150729aruaL1369150729
- Website Design: Mike Truese Creations