- 2 lbs eggplant, peeled and cut into 3×1/4-inch sticks
- 3 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups white-wine vinegar
- 4 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- About 1 1/2 cups olive oil, divided
- Accompaniment: crusty Italian loaf
- Toss eggplant with 1/4 cup salt and drain in a colander set over a bowl, covered, at room temperature 4 hours. (Eggplant will turn brown.) Discard liquid in bowl.
- Gently squeeze handfuls of eggplant. Bring water and vinegar to a boil in a medium pot. Add eggplant and boil, stirring occasionally, until tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Drain in colander, then set colander over a bowl and cover eggplant with a plate and a weight (such as a large heavy can).
- Continue to drain, covered and chilled, 8 to 12 hours. Discard liquid in bowl. Gently squeeze handfuls of eggplant to remove excess liquid, then pat dry.
- Stir together eggplant, garlic, oregano, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and 1 cup oil in a bowl. Transfer to a 1-quart jar or other container with a tight-fitting lid and add just enough olive oil to cover eggplant. Marinate eggplant, covered and chilled, at least 4 hours. Bring to room temperature before serving.
Serves: makes a lot
adapted from www.epicurious. com
The nice thing about marinating anything is that you don’t have to do much. Time takes care of all the heavy labor.