Sauteed Summer Squash
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped (about 1 cup
- 2 plump garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 pounds summer squash, cut in ½ dice
- 1 small red pepper, diced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh savory
- Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy skillet over medium heat, and add the onion. Stir often and cook until tender, 5 to 8 minutes.
- Then add the garlic, squash, red pepper and about 3/4 teaspoon of salt. Turn the heat to medium-high and cook, stirring, until the squash is translucent and the red pepper tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add freshly ground pepper, taste and adjust salt. Stir in the herbs, and remove from the heat.
- Option to add crumbled feta or parmesan, especially if using as a taco filler.
Serves: Serves 4-6
Adapted from Martha Rose Shulman/New York Times
This makes a great side dish, or you can toss it with pasta, serve it with rice, mix it with quinoa, or use it to fill tacos.